Smart Cities are transforming our urban life with digital technologies, offering new citizen-centric public services, optimizing the usage of resources and reducing the impact of service provisioning on the environment. Cities are too big to ignore, they are at the core of our work and leisure lives, hosting the majority of World's population, and the majority of its innovation infrastructure and assets.
Regarding key fundamental dynamics and mobility issues, many cities continue to grow in world-wide while demographic aging will also create pressure of the costs of running staff-intensive mobility infrastructure. It is necessary to improved performance in basic city management areas starting from smart and sustainable mobility, traffic and road networks, to transport systems, but also considering street cleaning to water management, to sustainable energy and affordable low carbon environments.
Generally, a smart city combines legacy networks and new communication architectures in order to achieve compatibility and interoperability among public administrations, operators, companies and population. Then, it goes beyond the use of ICT to provide new advanced services in diverse business and technological domains, such as urban transports, water supply, disposal facilities, lightning, heat buildings and so on. To this aim, the integration of information and communication systems, sensors and data analytics over different systems and infrastructures of a city is necessary.
Topics include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Applications for Smart Cities able to leverage Big-Data Applications, ICT devices used in Factory of the Future, HPC, Industrial Processes, Energy Efficiency Systems, Social Platforms, etc.
- Building Trust-based communication and computing systems for IoT and Clouds applications being Secure for Citizens
- eHealth applications for Citizens.
- Connecting in City Buildings for optimizing resources and utilities.
- Software engineering methodology for the design of Smart Cities Systems
- Energy Efficient and Green Software-defined Infrastructures aimed at Smart Cities facilities.
- Re-allocation of resources and services (independently of their location) across distributed computing and geographically separated data storage and processing infrastructures. Inter-Cities along with Federation Services: availability, Disaster recovery, etc.
- Federation of Services (IaaS, PaaS and SaaS) aimed at Public Administrations
- Service discovery in Smart Cities - device Discovery and Data Discovery.
- Easy and Large Deployment and autonomic management of densely interconnected and decentralised Cloud, Networks and IoTs infrastructures aimed at Smart Cities.
- Control Architectures/Network Programmability in Smart Cities aimed at mobility, traffic and road networks, transport systems, energy, economy, and so on.
- ICT applications enabling Energy-aware, smart and sustainable mobility solutions for Smart Cities.
- Verification/Debugging/ Auditing Tools for all Applications in Smart Cities Domains
- Energy-aware and sustainable computing solutions for Smart Cities applications